We love our palm trees in San Diego, but in March, we love shamrocks more! St. Patrick's Day 2017 is March 17, and the St. Patrick's Day events in San Diego let you start celebrating early and keep celebrating longer! Here's a guide to where you can go for Irish-inspired fun.
• The San Diego Half-Marathon gets a jump-start on the holiday, with runners taking over the streets on March 5. 5K and fun-run options mean you don't have to be a serious athlete to reach the finish line. Or make the event more challenging and combine the 5K with a Tribes & Clans obstacle course. End your day at the EC Craft Beer Invitational for music, entertainment, food, and great beer.
• Watch the St Patrick's Day Parade on March 11. The parade route runs through and alongside Balboa Park. There's also an Irish Festival in the park, with 2 stages of entertainment, Irish food, and a Celtic Village.
• Explore the Gaslamp District on a 2-day pubcrawl, getting you entry to bars with drink specials. It's 12 hours of fun each day, from 2pm to 2am. (Not up to 2 days of partying? Single day tickets are available, too).
• Also in the Gaslamp is the St. Patricks Day Shamrock Block Party. Astroturf turns the street into an imitation of the green hills of Ireland, and there are 3 stages of entertainment.
• Another Gaslamp District option is the Irish 4 a Day pass. You'll get 2-days' entry into 25 parties throughout the district, with a welcome shot at each. Bookend your days with the special opening and closing parties.
However you decide you spend your St. Patrick's Day in San Diego this year, Days Inn San Diego Hotel Circle Near SeaWorld gets you to the fun without hassles. We're right by the light rail, the hop-on/hop-off bus stops outside, and there are tons of local buses, too. You'll get to enjoy the party without worrying about how you'll get back to the hotel, and once you do, you'll have a comfortable night with deluxe bedding, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi to share pics of you going green for the day.