Arguably one of San Diego's most vibrant neighborhoods and located about a mile or so from us, it's impossible to feel unwelcome in Hillcrest. A neighborhood that boasts acceptance and diversity, Hillcrest is wonderful to wander through on a warm afternoon. University Avenue is lined with plenty of restaurants serving a wide range of cuisines from Thai to French. In addition, there are tons of bars and shops — be sure to check out our favorite Hillcrest hotspots, listed below!
- Bronx Pizza: AKA the closest you’ll get to a New York-style slice of pie in San Diego!
- Baja Betty's: Home to delicious Mexican food specialties, award-winning margaritas, and fun-filled happy hours and brunch!
- Uptown Tavern: A fun, exciting atmosphere that specializes in hearty breakfast burritos, grilled cheese, rosemary-parm fries, and other pub grub.
- The Wine Lover: Intimate wine bar offering small bites, live music, and wine tastings.
- Rich's: With 3 different levels, this is Hillcrest’s biggest LGBTQ dance club!
- Urban Mo’s Bar & Grill: Another LGBT hotspot in the heart of Hillcrest - featuring drag show brunches, wrap-around bars, Sunday brunch, and a dance floor.
- Flashbacks: A fun, unique, and funky clothing resale shop with fashion from all eras.
- Village Hat Shop: Biggest hat store in the USA with 32 years in San Diego - boasting over 15,000 hats in stock!
- Hillcrest Farmer’s Market: San Diego’s original and largest farmer's market with over 175 vendors. Features produce, gifts, art, and more! Sundays from 9am - 2pm.
- Landmark Hillcrest Cinemas: Get your independent film fix here! The go-to for those who venture outside of blockbuster films.
- CityFest: This annual summer music and arts festival attracts 150,000 visitors and features art and live music over 9 city blocks!
- San Diego Pride (annual event in July): Bringing 200,000 + guests - this is one of the biggest PRIDE parades and celebrations in the US, taking place in Hillcrest and Balboa Park.